Saturday, July 12, 2008

"BAD MOM AWARD..."

So I have been debating whether to post this and I have come to the conclusion that I need to for my sake so I can remember this tragic event!!! On Wednesday night I was going about my usual routine of feeding Crew and then starting dinner before Nick got home. As usual Crew was on the counter top in his Bumbo. Just a little side note; Crew is very strong. He wants to stand all the time and never wants to sit. His legs may look chunky but they are super strong. So I start to make dinner, and I bent down to get a pan from underneath my island. As I got it out and put it on the counter top to spray with Pam I hear this LOUD "thud"! OH NO! What happened? All I knew is Crew was NOT on the counter any more. I SCREAMED! He was on the kitchen floor face down, still in the Bumbo. My heart dropped. Was he breathing? Did he brake something? I hurried and got him out and his face was purple. He then took a deep breath and out came the cry I was waiting for. My poor baby. No blood, no bruising to what I could see, but was very scared. Nick wasn't home yet and I was freaking out. What a horrible mom, I kept thinking to myself. How could I let something so bad happen to my little boy? I call Nick and that is when I burst into tears. "It's all my fault," I said. Nick tried to calm me down but I still felt horrible. By the time he got home Crew had fallen asleep on my chest. I didn't want to ever let him go. Not sure if I should have let him fall asleep but he seemed to be fine. I gave him some Motrin that night when he went to bed. I am SURE he had a headache. Good news... the next morning he was COMPLETELY FINE. Crew was back to his happy self. Boy did I feel like the worst mom ever. No worries I got a highchair the very next day. No more Bumbo on the counter top. Funny enough, well not funny, but the Bumbo was actually recalled for that very reason. People were putting there kids in it on high counters and they fall out of them. Maybe I should be better at following rules!! All I have to say is I am so thankful he is OK. Not sure if this has happened to anyone else but I hope I am not the only one who has made this kind of mistake. Why do I have to learn the hard way? Well glad it is off my chest!! Hope no one thinks I am the worst mom ever!!

11 comments:

Angie said...

Actually! The same thing happened to my friend's baby last fall. And I am glad to hear that Crew didn't sustain any serious injuries. Courtney's little boy had a broken hip from his spill & spent months in a full body cast--she even had social services interview her in the emergency room (TRAUMATIC). I am glad you are brave enough to have blogged about this, because I don't know that parents are fully aware of how dangerous those seats can be when they are not firmly planted on the ground!

Bree aka Breeza said...

Whit. I am so SORRY! That is so scary! I am so glad he is ok! You are not a bad Mom, unfortunately nobody is perfect at motherhood...remember Ayvas fall??? Still haunts me. love you so much!

Kelie said...

Sadly, I think every mom gets to have at least one scare like this! I am soooo glad that he is ok! This will just be a good reminder to all of us mothers who read this! You're such a wonderful mommy! Love you!

Travis & Natalie Nelson said...

Hey whitney, Today i Had my son in his Bumboo set and I didn't think he was that strong. He started to through a fit and was arching his back and the bumboo kept moving. I sure if I wasn't right there whenit happened he would have gone backwards. The thing that went through my heard is about the recall. Your not a bad mom it could happen to anybody

AOKI CIRCUS said...

Hi Whitney,
I don't know you but I know Nick and I think you are such a cute mom. Something like this happens to all of us! Thankfully most of the time kids are pretty resilient of their mommy's errors. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that guilt. It's horrible, but we all do it!

rachel thurston said...

you are an amazing mom. "stuff" just happens..

love your new photo header!! I remember that day like it was yesterday.

xxxxoo.

Jensen Family said...

I didn't learn with Cannon and it happened to Dayna too! It happens to the best of us!
Hang in there!

Melody's Voice said...

I am sorry you went though that. Hey, when I was a toddler, and I had just learned to crawl, I was crawling up the stairs, and I made it all the way to the top step. What I did was I squeezed through the crack between the steps and fell. My mom said I was passed out and my eyes were rolling back in my my head. I had to get stitches because I split my head open. So, my Mom knows how you feel. I turned out fine. Nobody is perfect.

Lac said...

Well there goes your Mother of the year award! Like Ash said, we all do it! Love the new blog, and I love the pictures that Rachel T took! She's so amazing. Love that girl! Crew looks so adorable and you and Nick look so cute. My favorite pic was in front of your house. I don't really know why other than that I think it's cool you'll always look back and say, "that was our first house." Love that! Congrats to you and Nick on Nicks raise. That is so awesome! He works so hard and is such a good Daddy! I just love him and couldn't be more tickled that he finally got a break! He and you deserve it so much. I just love you guys to death!! GO CELEBRATE! Have good sex and yummy food or something! Work on baby number 2!

JHayes said...

That kid is one tough cookie! By the way, I love hearing "real" mom stories! I'm sure most people don't admit them, then everyone thinks, "Am I the only one who goofs up?" (I KNOW that will happen to me when this one is born :).
P.S. Come to Vegas again! We need a visit :)

Mandy said...

Oh Whit, it is o.k. You are not a bad mom. Something like that happens to all of us I promise. Seth fell out of his swimg right on the hard wood floors when he was like two months old. you think I would have learned with him being my second but things like that happen. I am glad he is o.k. you are a great mom!!!!